Disclaimer

I am not here to build your self esteem. I am not the torch to illuminate your ignorance. Most importantly, I'm not here to make friends or influence people. If you do not know me, I direct you to my first entry as a means of introducing who I am and where I'm coming from.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thank you Joss Whedon.

Today I'm using the blog to make a tribute to Joss Whedon for continuing to create amazingness.

Joss has been an influence on me through most of my formative years. Without Mr. Whedon I would never have attempted to be a Vampire Slayer, nor have wanted to join an evil law firm seeking to open the gates of hell by taking a vampire's soul. I would not have wanted to smuggle my way through space and be a cowboy/pirate all at the same time. In each of his masterpieces we learn that life's true heros are a gang of scoobies that, while the universe underestimates them, ultimately they are the best of us. Champion of the underdog, Joss put my early years into perspective; At least the world was not ending and it was up to me alone to save it.
Today's tribute was caused by watching Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. I've had it sitting on my coffee table for a while now. I guess most of my hesitation was worrying that Joss could not live up to my expectations. He got me through high school in one piece, but would his simple message speak to my now so very intellectual self? (For those of you who don't know me, that was a joke.) Through Dr. Horrible I learned to root again for the underdog. He may be painfully flawed, but he is better than most. Just as I stumbled through rectifying the true wonderfullness and pain that was Buffy (think Becoming) I watched Dr. Horrible face his tragically flawed self; his inner demons. Understanding through his flaws he is human and will find redemption in his better self. Yes, the scoobies faltered everytime in their attempt to save the world, but what united them was always their belief in their better selves; Their redemption was that they had each other. The ultimate message of Joss, is that you cannot do it alone. We should not do it alone.
I just want to thank Joss for continuing to amaze me. I will never forget how Buffy made me feel the first episode I ever saw where Xander turned into a hyena. Through campy plot and quick wit you saved this girl and made her who she is today. But you also proved last night you can continue to teach me lessons that I never fully understood as a child.

5 comments:

  1. Love it! Still have to see Dr. Horrible myself, but I couldn't relate more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog. I even bought my husband a Captain Hammer T-shirt. I just wish our dear Mr. Whedon would do a sequel (or continuation or whatever).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As amazing as he is, you left out the travesty that is Alien Resurrection, when I learned he was responsible for that it made my heart cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must admit, my soul died inside a little that day. Due to Firefly, he is forgiven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um....Dr. Horrible is amazing. And so, so, SO singable.

    ReplyDelete